EB-2 비자할당량 지연(visa backlog)이 있을 경우 어떻게 이민 신청서(I-140)와 영주권 신청서(I-485)를 같이 접수 할 수 있을까?

Sunlaw 71.***.242.2 3318
    Law Office of Sun  Associated
    Shaub & Williams (Of Counsels)

12121 Wilshire Boulevard  •  Suite 600  •  Los Angeles, CA  •   90025 

Tel: (310) 481-6118
    Fax: (310) 481-6117
    Web: http://www.sunlawfirm.us

취업이민2순위(EB2) 비자할당량 지연(visa backlog)이 있을 경우 어떻게 이민 신청서(I-140)와 영주권 신청서(I-485)를 같이 접수 할 수 있을까?

본 기사에서는 한인 영주권 신청자들에 대하여 취업이민2순위에 비자할당량 지연(visa backlog)이 있는 현재 상황에서 I-140와 I-485 신청서의 동시접수(concurrent filing)에 대하여 다루었습니다.   2002년 이후로 미이민국은 취업이민 신청(I-140 Petition for Alien Worker)과 영주권 신청(I-485 Adjustment of Status Application; green card application)을 동시에 접수하도록 신청자들에게 허용하였습니다.  그 전에는 I-485를 접수하기 위해서는 I-140승인를 기다려야 했습니다.  현재는 두 가지 신청을 동시에 접수를 할 수 있습니다.

최근 발표된 미국무성의 10월 비자 불러틴에 따르면, 취업이민 2순위 카테고리 (EB2NIW를 포함한 EB2케이스)에서 외국인(한국 출신 신청자를 포함)에게 새로운 비자발급 우선일자(cut-off dates)가 2012년1월1일로 정하여졌습니다. (인도와 중국 출신 외국인 제외).

I-140와 I-485 신청서의 동시접수 이점은 다음과 같습니다: 1) 영주권 신청서(I-485)를 일찍이 접수함; 신청자와 배우자 및 자녀들은, 신청자 본인이나 고용주에 의하여 취업이민 신청서(I-140)를 접수할 때 그들의 영주권 신청서(I-485)를 같이 접수할 수 있습니다; 2) I-485신청서를 접수할 시, 주신청자와 그의 가족은 노동허가증(Employment Authorization Documents (“EADs”))과 여행허가서 (Advanced Parole documents; travel documents)를 또한 접수 할 수 있습니다; 3) 이민관은 I-140신청과 I-485신청을 동시에 검토할 것이며, 이는 주신청자와 그의 가족이 영주권을 더 빠르게 받을 수 있는 결과를 가져올 수 있습니다.

신청자는 visa number가 유효할 경우 I-140와  I-485둘 다 동시에 접수할 수 있습니다.  수 년동안, 한국 출신 신청자들은 EB2 PERM또는 EB2 National Interest Waiver으로 영주권을 신청할 경우 EB2카테고리에는 비자 할당량 지연(visa backlog)이 없었기 때문에, I-140와 I-485 둘 다 동시에 접수 할 수 있었습니다.   하지만 2012년7월 이후로 상황이 달라졌습니다.  미국무성은 취업이민2순위 카테고리(EB2)에서 한국 출신 영주권신청자들에게 적용이 되고 있는 세계적 범위의 EB2 비자할당량지연(visa backlog)을 부과하기 시작하였습니다.  Visa backlog의 결과는 EB2카테고리의 모든 영주권 신청자들로 하여금 I-140와 I-485신청을 동시에 접수하지 못하도록 하였습니다.

그럼 한국 출신 신청자들에게 여전히 동시 접수를 할 수 있는 다른 어떤 방법이 있을까요?  네.   한국 출신 영주권신청자가 만일 EB1A카테고리에 자격이 있을 경우 I-140와 I-485를 동시에 접수할 수 있는 바, 그 이유는 EB1 카테고리에 비자할당량 지연(visa backlog)이 없기 때문입니다.

(EB1A신청의 자격요건은 저희의 이전 7월10일자 기사에 설명되어있습니다.)

다음은 저희의 최근 승인된 EB1A I-140케이스 사례입니다.

1) 신청자는 postdoc연구원으로서EB1A와 EB2NIW신청을 접수하였으며, 그의 EB1A I-140신청은 추가서류요청(Request for Evidence; RFE)없이 2012년 8월8일에 먼저 승인되었습니다.  신청자는 생체공학(Biomedical Engineering) 박사학위를 취득하였습니다.  저희는 손님의 5편(first-author)논문, 16편(co-author)논문, 14건의 학회발표, 2회 리뷰 인용기록, 150회의 연구 인용기록, 5회의 동료평가(peer-review)기록, 2건의 연구제안서 (research proposals), 6건의 연구지원 신청서 (research grant applications), 전문가 소견서 7부 등을 포함한 잘 준비된 서류를 이민국에 제출하도록 도와드렸습니다.

2) 신청자는 연구원으로서 EB1A와 EB2NIW신청을 접수하였으며, 그의 EB1A I-140신청은 추가서류요청(Request for Evidence; RFE)없이 2012년 8월27일에 승인되었습니다.  신청자의 18편 논문들은  다른 동료 연구원들에 의하여 128회에 걸쳐 인용되었습니다.  그는 또한 특허신청과 5회의 동료평가 기록 등의 서류를 제출하였습니다.

추가서류 없이 승인된 EB1A케이스의 예는 저희의 체계적인 증거조직화와 상세한 법적논증에 의하여 손님의 케이스가 잘 제시되고 준비되었음을 보여주고 있습니다.

저희 로펌은 postdoc연구원, 교수, 공학자, 고급학위를 가진 전문인 등의 EB1A, EB1B, EB2NIW영주권 신청과 O1, H1B등의 비이민비자 신청을 돕는데 있어 16년간 이상의 상당한 경험을 가지고 있습니다.  더 많은 정보가 필요하실 경우, 저희 website http://www.sunlawfirm.us를 방문하실 수 있습니다.

Alice H. Sun (Member of American Immigration Lawyers Association)
    Law Office of Sun Associated with Shaub & Williams
    12121 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 600
    Los Angeles, CA 90025
    alicesunlaw@gmail.com,or awofficeofsun@yahoo.com
    http://www.sunlawfirm.us.

Disclaimer:  위의 정보는 일반적인 정보이며 어떤 자세한 사례나 법적 이슈를 위한 법률상담이 아님을 알려 드립니다.

How can you file both your I-140 and I-485 together when there is EB2 visa backlog?

In this article, we will briefly discuss the concurrent filing of I-140 Petition and I-485 Application in the current situation when EB2 has a visa backlog for Korean green card applicants.  Since 2002, USCIS has allowed applicants to concurrently file the I-140 Petition for Alien Worker and the I-485 Adjustment of Status Application (green card application). Prior to that, you had to wait for the I-140 approval in order to file your I-485.  Now both can be filed simultaneously.

Recently, the U.S. Department of State announced through its Visa Bulletin for October 2012  that a new cut-off date of January 1, 2012, has been imposed for foreign nationals (including Korean-born applicants) in the employment-based second preference immigrant visa category (EB2 including EB2NIW), except China and India. 

The benefits of the concurrent filing are: 1) Early filing of I-485; the applicant, his/her spouse and children can file their I-485 (green card) applications at the same time when an I-140 petition is filed by the applicant or his/her employer;  2) Obtaining work authorization and travel documents for the applicant and his/her family; When filing I-485 applications, the applicant and his family can also file for Employment Authorization Documents (“EADs”) and travel documents (Advanced Parole documents), and  3) the CIS officer will review both I-140 and I-485 at the same time so the applicant and his or her family members may get green card faster.

One can only concurrently file both I-140 and I-485 if a visa number is available. For many years, Korean-born applicants may file both I-140 and I-485 at the same time if they apply green card in EB2 PERM or EB2 National Interest Waiver, because there was no visa backlog in EB2. However, the situation has changed since July 2012. The Department of States imposed a worldwide EB2 visa backlog that applies to all Korean-born green card applicants in employment-based second preference category (EB2).  The effect of the visa backlog bars all green card applicants in EB2 category to file both I-140 and I-485 concurrently.

Is there any way for Korean born applicants to still do concurrently filing? Yes. Korean-born green card applicants may still file I-140 and I-485 concurrently if they are qualified for EB1A category because there is NO visa backlog in EB1 category. 

(The qualifications for an EB1A application are described in our previous article posted on July 10, 2012.)

The following are two examples of our approved EB1A I-140 petitions and the applicants’ qualifications for your reference:

1) A postdoctoral researcher filed both EB1A & EB2NIW petitions on March 30, 2012, and his EB1A I-140 petition was approved first on August 8, 2012 without a Request for Evidence (RFE). The beneficiary earned a Ph.D. degree in Biomedical Engineering.  As a postdoctoral associate, he is working at a cancer treatment center in the fields of biomaterials, nanoparticles and cancer therapy.  We helped the client submit well-prepared documentation, including his 5 first-author papers, 16 co-author papers, 14 conference presentations, 2 review citations, 150 research citations, peer-reviewer experiences (5 times), 2 research proposals, 6 research grant applications, 7 expert opinion letters, among other documents.

2) A researcher filed both EB1A & EB2NIW petitions and his EB1A I-140 petition was approved on August 27, 2012 without a Request for Evidence (RFE).  The applicant is an author of 18 scientific papers, and his papers had been cited in 128 papers written by others. He also submitted some patent applications and documents of his experience as a peer-reviewer for five times.

Our successful representation of the above-exemplified EB1A cases without a RFE illustrates that the clients’ cases were well presented and prepared by our systematic evidence organization and in-depth legal argument.  

Our law firm has substantial experience for more than 16 years to help postdoctoral researchers, professors, engineers, and other advanced degree professionals apply for nonimmigrant status in O1, H1B, etc., and green card applications in EB1A, EB1B and EB2NIW.  For more information, you can visit our website at http://www.sunlawfirm.us.

Alice H. Sun (Member of American Immigration Lawyers Association)
    Law Office of Sun Associated with Shaub & Williams
    12121 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 600
    Los Angeles, CA 90025
    alicesunlaw@gmail.com,or awofficeofsun@yahoo.com
    http://www.sunlawfirm.us.

Disclaimer: The above newsletter information is general information.  They are NOT legal consultations for any specific cases or legal issues.