Case: Biologist EB-1(a) Green Card Received within 4 Months

Hooyou 222.***.11.55 4697

Dr. Liu came to the United States after obtaining her B.S degree in Genetics and Genetic Engineering in China. Then, she attained both a M.S and a Ph. D degree in Biology at a distinguished American university. When she contacted our office in October 2007 for a free immigration evaluation, she was working as a postdoctoral fellow at one of the top universities in the United States.

After reviewing her education background and research achievements, Jerry Zhang, attorney and founder of our firm, confirmed that Dr. Liu was eligible for an EB-1(a) petition. He also suggested applying for a National Interest Waiver (NIW) as a backup plan. Dr. Liu took Mr. Zhang’s advice and signed the contract on November 20, 2007. Joe Zhou, the attorney in charge of Dr. Liu’s cases, immediately began preparation of her EB-1(a) and NIW.

In order to be categorized as an Alien of Extraordinary Ability, the petitioner must provide documentation of any three (3) out of the ten (10) conditions listed as EB-1(a) requirements (for a detailed list, please visit our website http://www.hooyou.com ). After reading all the information offered by Dr. Liu, Mr. Zhou noticed that Dr. Liu had worked in the fields of Genomics research and Computational Biology. She also made original scientific contributions of major significance and performed in leading roles for organizations with distinguished reputations. Dr. Liu was the author of ten scholarly articles in mainstream journals, some of which were the top journals in the world. Her research had been presented at the field’s most distinguished conferences and there were professional publications written by others evaluating her research. She served as a judge of others’ work in her field or allied fields. Dr. Liu was also a member of several prestigious organizations. In the petition letter, Attorney Zhou drew upon all of Dr. Liu’s experiences, contributions, and influences to show that Dr. Liu was an Alien of Extraordinary Ability.

In his strategic petition letter, Mr. Zhou made sure to emphasize that Dr. Liu’s work was dedicated to the area of Genomics research and Computational Biology, focusing on genome rearrangement research. This field of research is important due to the urgent demand for development of the next generation scientific advances in the treatment of genetic diseases. Dr. Liu’s research was instrumental in leading us to a deeper understanding of genomic research and the novel methods of prevention and therapy for genetic disease. The result of her research would be one of the most important focuses in the coming years of biomedical research and her expertise would be increasingly valuable. In other words, her work could prospectively benefit the United States in a substantial degree.

Preparation on Dr. Liu’s case began in late November 2007. All the materials for the EB-1(a), NIW, and I-485 were completely prepared by April 16, 2008. During this five month period, our attorneys and assistants communicated closely with Dr. Liu through mail, email, and phone to file her petition with the USCIS completely and efficiently. After numerous quality checks, the petitions were filed on April 17, 2008.

On August 1, 2008, within four months after the cases were filed, both the EB-1(a) and the I-485 petition were approved. Seven days later, Dr. Liu received her Green Card. The petition was processed so quickly that Dr. Liu could not believe she has become a permanent resident of the United States. She wrote to Mr. Zhou in a state of shock to make sure it really happened. And of course, it did!

Dr. Liu was quite excited to hear this good news. Our attorneys and supporting professionals were also very happy with this result. We attribute the success of Dr. Liu’s application to her strong research background and cooperation, as well as our firm’s teamwork.

We must admit that Dr. Liu’s case was very lucky. Most cases do not get approved within such a short time; it usually takes USCIS about one year to process I-140 petitions and one to two years to process I-485 applications. The I-140 and I-1485 process can be especially long for petitioners born in mainland China or India, since they need to wait for an available visa number before filing an I-485 application for EB-2 and EB-3 cases. However, we still believe that the responsible, hard work of an experienced attorney is extremely helpful in an immigration petition and will eventually pay off. Further, because the EB-1 is not currently constrained by visa number availability for Chinese and Indian born aliens, it was just one more advantage in this case.

*In order to protect our client’s privacy, all identifying information has been changed.

In an EB-1 petition, the attorney must successfully convince the immigration officer that the alien possesses outstanding credentials. Zhang & Associates has a collaborative team of experienced attorneys dedicated to providing high-quality client services. In the past 12 years, we have successfully helped numerous clients obtain green cards in the EB-1(a) and EB-1(b) categories.
    Please send your CV to Attorney Jerry Zhang (info@hooyou.com) for a free evaluation to see if EB-1 is a good choice for you.
    Zhang & Associates, PC.
    Houston ∙ New York ∙ Chicago ∙ Austin
    Tel:1-800-230-7040, 713-771-8433
    Email: @hooyou.com">info@hooyou.com