Can Same-sex Marriage Bring Immigration Benefits?

Hooyou 222.***.11.55 35205

In May 2008, California Supreme Court overturned the gay marriage ban. After this turning point, our firm has received several inquiries about the immigration benefits of same-sex marriage.

Mimi came to the US for her graduate study, and now she is a Ph. D student of biology in a university of CA. When she stays in the U.S, Mimi fell in love with Monica, a female post-doctor researcher who is an American citizen. They have lived together for two years. In June 2008, Mimi and Monica held their wedding ceremony and became a legal couple in California. Mimi came to our office with the question that after she and Monica married legally in CA, could Monica, her “wife”, apply family-based immigration for her. In other words, can this same-sex marriage bring immigration benefits for Mimi?

Generally speaking, marriage is regulated by the state laws, but the immigration is regulated by the federal law. Federal laws usually recognize the validity of a marriage if the marriage was valid in a state or another country where the marriage was entered into. There is no exact definition of marriage in the immigration laws.

Same-sex marriage also referred to as gay marriage, is a marriage between two persons of the same sex. Over decades, supporters of same-sex marriage have advocated and fought for the validity of same-sex marriage. However, in 1996, the House of the representatives and the Senate passed the Defense of Marriage bill, which was then signed by President Bill Clinton on September 21, 1996. According to The Defense of Marriage Act, U.S. Congress clarifies that the word “marriage” means only a legal union between one man and one woman as husband and wife and the word “spouse” refers only to a person of the opposite sex who is a husband or wife. Apparently, the U.S. Congress interprets that marriage exists only between male and female. Thus like the words of Chris Rhatigan, the spokeswoman of USCIS ever said to, immigration laws do not accept gay or lesbian marriages, although same-sex marriage is currently recognized on the state level by two states, California and Massachusetts, and Vermont recognizes civil unions, but not marriage, of same-sex couples.

So we can see that in Mimi’s case, although she and Monica married legally in CA, this same-sex marriage cannot bring her any immigration benefits so far. If Mimi wants to immigrant to the U.S and live together with her “wife” Monica, she may have to file an employment based immigration petition.

Founded in 1996, Zhang & Associates, P.C. offers legal services to clients nationwide in all aspects of U.S immigration law. We have successfully handled thousands of immigration cases.
    At Zhang & Associates, P.C., our attorneys and supporting professionals are committed to providing high-quality immigration and non-immigration visa services. We specialize in NIW, EB-1, PERM, and I-485 cases. In the past twelve years, we have successfully helped thousands of clients get green cards. If you plan to apply for a green card, please send your CV to Attorney Jerry Zhang (info@hooyou.com) for a free evaluation.
    Zhang & Associates, PC.
    Houston ∙ New York ∙ Chicago ∙ Austin
    Tel:1-800-230-7040, 713-771-8433
    Email: @hooyou.com">info@hooyou.com
    *This article is based on the state of the law as of the posting date. It is the responsibility of the reader to verify that the law has not changed by consulting an attorney, although Zhang and Associates will make every effort to ensure that our articles are updated periodically.

• Liam K Lee 37.***.211.25

I’m not sure. But personally I like girls and unfortunately I’m single. Do you know how to find a girl in Europe?

• Grig Woods 37.***.211.138

Well, probably each of us has our own individual preferences when choosing a partner, but if you are interested in european dating, I completely understand you and recommend using the useful tips on the link I provided. Most likely you should also join the reliable dating site from the mentioned article and I hope you will do well with your search for love.