준비없이 미국 이민 왔다가 망해서 한국간 사람 기사

ㅇㅇ 112.***.166.205 2119

여행 한 번 왔다가 반해서 미국병 생겨서 무작정 이민 왔다가

투자이민 사기 당하고 결국 치킨집까지 했지만 망하고 한국 감

한국에서 서울에 아파트랑 상가 있던거 다 날리고 남양주로 이사 감 결국

이민은 현실입니다.

읽어보니 한국에서는 느끼지 못한 소수 비주류인종 +신분문제 때문에 스트레스가 컸던 거 같네요

A 34-year-old author, who identifies herself only with her pen name Hae-gil, published a memoir this week about her and her parents’ seven years of living as legal aliens in the United States, defining the nature of their life in the foreign land as a total failure.

In the book, “Back Then, We Shouldn’t Have Gone to the US,” released by Daejeon-based small independent publisher txt.kcal, she narrates about her family’s shattered American dream, and the wisdom she gained from the years of struggle and harsh living as a second-class citizen. One of the toughest challenges she and her parents had faced was downward social mobility, she said.

In Korea, her family was upper-middle class, thanks to her hard-working parents who made a considerable fortune through their business. Her financially stable parents had a nice apartment as well as property in Seoul, enabling their only child Hae-gil to lead an impeccably satisfying life as a film student.

In the United States, they were blue-collar workers, hopping from one precarious job to the next with long periods of unemployment.

Their unsuccessful migration and ensuing poverty put their family ties to the test.

“While living together after returning to Korea, the three of us realized that we were unwittingly hurting one another. Our small actions or words hurt us and caused us to recall what happened to us in the United States,” she told The Korea Times over the phone. “So we agreed to live apart.”

Hae-gil said she felt her family suffered severe post-traumatic stress disorder-like readjustment problems in Korea.

She now lives in the suburb of Seoul, earning an income from her day-job working in marketing at a small company located there.

As the title suggests, her memoir testifies to her and her family members’ deep regrets about their hasty decision to leave Korea for a new life in the United States.

She elaborates her family’s “sudden and unprepared” migration to the United States, their struggles to make ends meet in Georgia, another devastating failure in her parents’ eatery startup after they relocated to Alabama, and their painful decision to make a U-turn to Korea after all their endeavors to survive there went to fail.

A sense of alienation in the Korean community is another tormenting experience she went through. Her years of experience in the “Koreatowns” in the two U.S. states gave a sneak peek into the way of life of Koreans as an ethnic minority in the United States. In the small Koreatown, she observed, there was a social hierarchy among Koreans and an immigrant like her living in the United States as a legal alien took up the lowest level in the social strata. One of her acquaintances encouraged her to meet a man 20 years her senior on a blind date, telling her that marrying him would ensure she would obtain citizenship, a piece of advice she rejected.

She said she was traumatized by her experiences. But the suffering she and her family went through made them wiser.

She uploaded her writings to her blog, which was discovered by the publisher who encouraged her to release them as a memoir.

Hae-gil said her approval of the publication of her memoir is her way of recognizing her family’s struggles to survive in the foreign land.

“I know a story like this is not fascinating at all. A story about failure is difficult to draw attention from readers. But I decided to publish the book because I wanted to acknowledge our efforts to survive there. We failed and didn’t achieve anything great but I think what we did was meaningful and worthwhile,” she said.

She said her parents were initially very supportive of her book. But she went on to say that completing her memoir met several hurdles and distressed her parents.

“My parents and I still had difficulty telling what happened to us during our seven-year stay in the United States, because all of us were traumatized in one way or another, while adapting to our new lives in the United States. So whenever I checked with my parents about certain facts and events while working on the book project, they were emotional and sometimes enraged,” she said. “For us, the wounds are still fresh.”

Her family’s decision to emigrate from Korea to the United States came all of a sudden with a phone call from one of their distant relatives who went there over a decade earlier.

The relative encouraged her parents to invest in opening a beauty supply chain store in Georgia and consider living out the rest of their life in the United States. Before making their decision to migrate, her parents visited Georgia to see in person the location of the store and meet the people involved. Their trip convinced them to believe that the business was promising. Her parents sent money to the relative for the business, which later turned out to be a fraudulent scheme.

After experiencing failure after failure which kept causing them to burn through the money they brought from Korea, her parents eventually decided to partner with their church friend to open a fried chicken store in Montgomery, Alabama.

The eatery startup turned out to be another devastating failure that forced them to return to Korea.

Asked how they were able to make such a big decision ― to emigrate from Korea to the United States ― so easily without considering various other factors, she said her family had a shared dream and this propelled them to make a relatively quick decision on their departure.

“I studied film at university and had always dreamed studying film further in the United States since I was a teen. My parents were fascinated with living in the United States after their visit to Georgia,” she said.

Asked what she learned from her seven years in the United States, she said she came to be thankful for what she had long taken for granted. “I learned that the fact that I am a citizen of Korea means a lot because I have a country that protects me and I have certain rights that I enjoy as a citizen,” she said.

• 이민이란게 165.***.225.39

이민을 쉽게만 생각한 것이 그 이후에 벌어진 사기와 섣부른 투자로 이어진 것이 아닌가 안타깝게 생각합니다.
      물론 당사자들이 가장 불이익을 겪었겠지만, 가장 중요한 것은 여전히 스스로의 경쟁력…
      친척과의 첫 계획이 어그러졌을 때 한국으로 일단 철수했었어야…

• ㅜㅎ 174.***.154.32

어느 신문에 기사인가요?
      (검섹도 귀찮아. 검색하라는 벌레들에 미리 말함)

이민을, 미국을 아주 맘만하게 본모양.

• ㅜㅎ 174.***.154.32

그런데 저 책을 뭐하러 썼을까?

돈을 벌겠다는 생각이 조금이라도 있어서 썼다면 또다른 실패로 이어질 것이고,

저걸 기회로 모든 가족의 반성과 치유의 기회로 삼을수 있는 지혜와 동기가 있었다면 그것만으로 치유가 되었을것이다.

일단은
      본인이 문제란게 첫번째고, 두번째로 그 미국사는 사깃군 친척넘(이게 사실 일반적인 이민자의 모습일수도)을 용서해야 할거 같다. 그게 가능하겠냐만.

어쨌든 책장사는 안될꺼고
      책장사하려면 저걸 정치적으로 부각시켜서 반미선동을 하고 티비에도 출연해서 아주 재미있게 화내지말고 눈물짜지 말고 이야기를 풀어내면 티비에 인기있은 게스트가 될수도 있겠다.

• ㅜㅎ 174.***.154.32

문제앙이 저 사람들 청와대로 불러다
      “미국보다 우월한 달나라”란 주제로 먼저 쇼를 하면
      김어준이 또 초대하고
      또 한국방송에서도 초대하고
      이렇게 되겠지. 이야기만 재밌게 밝은 모습으로 하면서 미국을 욕하고
      달나라를 좋다고 부각시킬수록
      짭짤한 수익이 생길것이다.
      물론 서둘러야지 달나라가 무너질려면 일년도 안남았는데..

• 사실 요즘 이민(?)오는 사람들은 64.***.52.61

학교 혹은 직장때문에 오는 사람들이고요. 그 수도 엄청 적습니다.
      그 옛날 1990년 이전에 미국오신분들 그분들 연세가 다들 70 넘으신분들이고요. 그때는 이민자의 아메리카 드림이 있엇지요. 1990년대 중반 IMF 터지고 오신분들 지금 그분들 나이가 50대 입니다. 이분들 대부분 가난하게 사십니다. 현재 65세 이상 은퇴하신분들 거의다 한국 가고 싶어하시고 너무 이민생활이 오래되신 40년이상 되신 분들은 한국가시는 것 엄두도 못내십니다. 현재 이민자들은 유학생, 과거 주재원, IT 직장찾아오신분들 …이게 전부죠. 한인교회 가보시면 바로 파악하실것입니다. 어느 대도시 한인교회 가보면 거의다 70 이상분들이시고요. 재정이 넉넉하지 않은 교회들은 그나마 40대 후반 혹은 50세초반분들이 온갖 사역 다하십니다. 젊으시고 유학생부부로 이민 오신 분들..절대로 작은 교회가서 노가다 노예생활 하시 마세요. 이민생활 40년 넘으신 분들이 자기 자식들이나 미국 태생인 며느리들에게는 끽소리 하마디 못하면서 이민자 젊은 부부에게는 감내놔라 배내놔라 이런식이죠.

• 미국형 172.***.43.43

미국살기 개같음

• 사실 요즘 이민(?)오는 사람들은 64.***.52.61

일부사람들 빼고 (=취업이나 유학와서 눌러 앉은 사람빼고), 이민사회의 주축인 40대, 50대분들 뭐하시는 지, 어드렛일 하는 직업을 보면 깜짝 놀라실것인데, 이민을 오신다구요. 그야말로, 한국에서 집도 절도 없는 분들로서 비정규직이나 하루 벌어 하루 먹고 사는 사람들이나 미국이민 오시죠. 이외에 다른 분들…특히 한국서 아파트 팔거나 해서 사업자금을 들고 오실수 있는 분들은 그냥 한국서 사시길 강추합니다.

• 미국형 172.***.43.228

미국허드렛일 공장 노가다 하면 미국싫다고 당장 한국갈걸요 왜냐 밥빌어먹거던요

• 125.***.175.98

원글자 눈에는 저런 기사만 보이지만..
      반대로 한국에서 비실비실하다가 미국에 이민와서 대박성공한 사람도 천지삐까리임,,

• 미국형 71.***.2.209

그사람들은 옛날에 기회잡아서 성공했겠죠.. 지금은 때려죽여도 미국서 절대로 성공못해요.. 철저한 자본주의 미국을 만만하게 보시네. 미국이란 나라는 지금 한국보다 더 헬입니드. 이건 100푸로 확실해요

• ㅡㅡㅡ 72.***.162.240

실제로 사기일수도 있었지만, 많은 경우에 보면 사기가 아닌데도 사기라 치부하는 경우를 많이 본다
      본인이 잘못 한 걸 상대를 사기꾼으로 모는 경우가 있거든…

• 거침 174.***.154.56

취업해서 살아온 나같은 사람들에겐 참 생소한 이야기네요.

성공이 있으면 실패도 있는거고, 그게 나에게 찾아올수도 있는겁니다. 그 과정을 어떻게 사느냐에 따라 똑같이 실패해도 결과가 많이 다를겁니다. 이 사람은 결국 가족이 멀어지고 헤어지는 결과를 맞이했다는게 비극이네요. 내가 볼 때는 이민 실패 보다 그게 더 비참합니다.

• 벤투 감독 50.***.185.14

사업 하지말고 그냥 취업해서 배운담에 비즈니스 열지… 쯧쯧..

• 뭐지? 32.***.152.161

애시당초 실패요건을 다 갖추었네. 고생 안 해봤다.. 중산 이상이었다.. 미국생활에 반했다.. 돈은 한국서 잘 벌었는데 미국오니 하층민으로..
      그래도 한국에 돌아갔으니 다행이다.