W-9또는 W8ben 제출 요청

  • #3262566
    정크야드 50.***.254.247 137

    오늘 은행에서 우편이 하나왔습니다. W-9또는 W-8BEN 제출 요청 해달라는 우편을 받았습니다. 제가 미국을 고등학교 10학년 부터 다녔지만 고등학교 때는 매년 한국에 왔다갔다 했습니다. 12학년 졸업하고 한국에 가지 않고 바로 대학교로 입학하고 지금까지 한국에 가지 않았습니다 지금은 대학교 4학년입니다. 작년에 tax return 할때 보니 temporary-residence alliance 로 지정되어 학교에서 제공해주는 non-residence 프로그램을 사용할수 없어서 turbo tax를 사용햇습니다.

    2년 전부터 학교에서 일해여 매년 $12,000 before tax income 이 있었습니다. 당연히 학교에서 일하고 있으니 FTIN 대신 SSN 으로 TAX-RETURN 합니다. 근데 W-9 또는 W-8BEN 이거 꼭 작성해야하나요?
    저는 F-1 VISA학생입니다.

    우편 내용

    Dear Client:
    The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) now requires a Foreign Tax Identifying Number(FTIN) for U.S. income when reportable on FORM 1042-S. FTIN is the identification number issued in your country of residence, used for tax purposes.

    To update you records, please complete and sign the enclosed W-8BEN. If you not have a FTIN, you must provide an explanation for why you have not been issued one. The FTIN or explanation must be written on Line6. Per the IRS, do not write “not applicable”. If you are writing an explanation, you may shorten it to “not legally required”.

    Please return the W-8BEN in the prepaid envelope by November 1, 2018. If you have any questions regarding the W-8BEN or FTIN, please refer to the Internal Revenue Service website at http://www.irs.gov.