이정도 문장은 어떤수준인가요 ?

se 39.***.47.219 3314

영어를 좀 한다는 편인데도 아래문장은 혀를 내두릅니다..
    이정도 해석이 안되면 미국 석사 어렵겠죠
    ‘Among other public buildings in a certain town, which for many reasons it will be prudent to refrain from mentioning, and to which I will assign no fictitious name, there is one anciently common to most towns, great or small: to wit, a workhouse; and in this workhouse was born; on a day and date which I need not trouble myself to repeat, inasmuch as it can be of no possible consequence to the reader, in this stage of the business at all events; the item of mortality whose name is prefixed to the head of this chapter.’

• q_p 38.***.49.74

내용은 올리버 트위스트 같은데요? 그리고 이게 석사 어렵니 마니 운운할 근거가 되진 않습니다. 이런 글 쓰실 시간에 본인에게 도움되는 공부를 하는게 나을 듯 합니다.

• 99 144.***.36.50

+1

• le 58.***.57.26

아니 영미 고전문학이 이정도로 해석이 잘 안되는줄 몰라서 물어봤더니 비아냥만 거리고
          이글 올리는데 20초도 안걸렸는데 뭔 소리야 ,, 어휴 정말 심보 이상한사람 많네 ,,
          이거 해석 안되면 문과 석사는 못할거 아니야 ,, 자기 관점으로만 보고 세상사는 한심한 사람들..

• 수퍼스윗 184.***.6.171

어느 부분, 어떤 점이 힘든가요?

“Among other public buildings in a certain town, which for many reasons it will be prudent to refrain from mentioning, and to which I will assign no fictitious name, there is one anciently common to most towns, great or small: to wit, a workhouse;”

여기 까지는 clear합니까? 아니라면,
      “Among other public buildings in a certain town, there is one common to most towns, a workhouse”여기에 군더더기가 붙은걸로 생각하고 다시 읽어 보세요.

다음은 “… and in this workhouse was born the item of mortality whose name is prefixed to the head of this chapter.”에 군더더기가 붙었다고 생각하고 보시고요.

많이 읽으면 쉬워집니다. 특정 학위 받을 능력과는 상관없습니다.

• le 58.***.57.26

답변 감사합니다,
        and in this workhouse was born the item of mortality 부분은 뭐라고 해석하는게 좋을까요 ?
        주어가 어떤건가요 ㅜㅜ
        이런문장을 누가 읽어주면
        전혀 이해가 안갈듯 합니다

• hmmm 68.***.251.56

문어체 쉬운문장가지고 뭘 고민? ㅋㅋㅋ

• akbar 73.***.145.22

혀를 내두를 정도라니요. 정말 영어 좀 한다면, 이 수준이 높아서가 아니라 익숙하지 않아서 그런겁니다.

• ㅇㅇ 104.***.86.219

한국식 쓰레기 영어 교육의 폐혜 ㅋㅋㅋㅋ 문장 수준을 왜 따짐? 걍 읽고 뭔말인지 이해하면 끝인데

• ㅋㅋ 168.***.119.71

미국 상위권 로스쿨 다니는데요
      영어만 쓰는 프로페션인데 영어를 제발 간략하게 쓰라고 가르칩니다.
      명료하고 분명하게요.

• 1234 174.***.148.210

문장 수준이고 나발이고 직장에서 이렇게 서류 작성하면 욕 디지게 쳐먹어요. 영어능력 =\= 해독입니다.

• 수퍼스윗 184.***.6.171

당연합니다. 고전적인 문학적 문체로 꼬으면서 웃기면서 직장내 서류를 작성할 수는 없죠.
        처음 직장에서 말과 글이 하도 terse해서 적응이 안되던게 생각나네요.

• ㅁㅁㅁ 58.***.18.44

오백년전 문장을 가지고 해석이 되네 마네 하시면 안 되요 문장은 아래아한글 기준 무조건 3줄 이내여야 합니다.

• ㅁㅁㅁ 58.***.18.44

문장은 주어 동사 목적어만 분명하면 백프로 해석이 됩니다. 모든 문장은 간결체로 써야 이해하기 좋습니다. 물론 논문도 동일하게 적용됩니다.

• Re.. 98.***.71.32

Chapter 1: TREATS OF THE PLACE WHERE OLIVER TWIST WAS BORN AND OF THE CIRCUMSTANCES ATTENDING HIS BIRTH
      Among other public buildings in a certain town, which for many reasons it will be prudent to refrain from mentioning, and to which I will assign no fictitious name, there is one anciently common to most towns, great or small: to wit, a workhouse; and in this workhouse was born; on a day and date which I need not trouble myself to repeat, inasmuch as it can be of no possible consequence to the reader, in this stage of the business at all events; the item of mortality whose name is prefixed to the head of this chapter.

This is an introduction of a novel. I think it is not the best indicator for your reading comprehension. The writer (Charles Dickens) used embellished sentences to impress the readers. If you perceive the title, it would probably be easier to figure out what is going on. Here’s another famous example of the style:

Chapter 1 Loomings
      Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation. Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people’s hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can. This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship. There is nothing surprising in this. If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me.

• 비트씨 50.***.243.53

아..나는 석사를 어떻게 딴거지.. 전혀 쉽지않네요